When you shut it off, it dries up. When you turn it on, it pours forth. If you feel your tap has been closed tight, here are 5 ways to get it flowing again:
1. SAY YES. Out loud. Daily. Several times. Declare your intention and commitment to write. Declare it to yourself, the Universe and your Muse. Don’t declare it to your family and friends. They’ve probably heard it many times before and who needs the added pressure or audience. This is between you and your inner writer.
2. WORD WEB. Get out the construction paper and coloured felts. Web potential book titles or articles, poems or words. Web recent events or coincidences in your life and see where the web takes you.
3. DO DOWNDOG. Or inverted writer. Practices such as yoga, qigong, tai chi, nature walks and swimming get us out of our heads and allow the creative juices to flow. Don’t expect anything from your daily practice. Just enjoy it, fully present in the moment.
4. WRITE. EVERY. DAY. Create the time, place and space. The more you write, the more writing comes. If nothing new is pouring forth, find old pieces and run them through a new filter. Writer’s block does not exist. If you believe it does, see #3.
5. WHEN THE MUSE SHOWS UP, DROP WHAT YOU’RE DOING AND WRITE. You invited her. You’d better receive her when she comes. You will not have the same inspiration to write it later, nor will you remember the details. Grab a crayon, voice recorder, or carve it in the dirt. Get it down.
The writing will come. It’s up to you to turn on the tap. I can help you with that.
As a writing coach, I’ve helped non-fiction writers bring their expertise into the world, and memoir-writers put their story onto bookshelves. I can help you write and publish your book. In fact, you could have your rough draft in your hand in only 8 weeks. Work with me privately on your manuscript, or join our 8-week online course and enjoy the benefits and support of writing in community.
New Year’s Resolution: published author in 2021. Check!
Link to private coaching: https://stephaniedawnhrehirchuk.com/self-publishing-writing-coaching/